The missions are increasing in size as we enter the final few weeks of the campaign release. The missions this week take place in epic battles involving combinations of planes, striders and cross-map artillery. Be sure to post feedback: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24566
- Page 1
- Page 2
- Page 3
- Page 4
- Page 5
- Page 6
- Page 7
- Page 8
- Page 9
- Page 10
- Page 11
- Page 12
- Page 13
- Page 14
- Page 15
- Page 16
- Page 17
- Page 18
- Page 19
- Page 20
- Page 21
- Page 22
- Page 23
- Page 24
- Page 25
- Page 26
- Page 27
- Page 28
- Page 29
- Page 30
- Page 31
- Page 32
- Page 33
- Page 34
- Page 35
- Page 36
- Page 37
- Page 38
- Page 39
- Page 40
- Page 41
- Page 42
- Page 43
- Page 44
- Page 45
- Page 46
- Page 47
- Page 48
- Page 49
- Page 50
- Page 51
- Page 52
- Page 53
- Page 54
- Page 55
- Page 56
- Page 57
- Page 58
- Page 59
- Page 60
- Page 61
- Page 62
- Page 63
- Page 64
- Page 65
- Page 66
- Page 67
- Page 68
- Page 69
- Page 70
- Page 71
- Page 72
- Page 73
- Page 74
- Page 75
- Page 76
- Page 77
- Page 78
- Page 79
- Page 80
- Page 81
- Page 82
- Page 83
- Page 84
- Page 85
- Page 86
- Page 87
- Page 88
- Page 89
- Page 90
- Page 91
- Page 92
- Page 93
- Page 94
- Page 95
- Page 96
- Page 97
- Page 98
- Page 99
- Page 100
- Page 101
- Page 102
- Page 103
- Page 104
- Page 105
- Page 106
- Page 107
- Page 108
- Page 109
- Page 110
- Page 111
- Page 112
- Page 113
- Page 114
- Page 115
- Page 116
- Page 117
- Page 118
- Page 119
- Page 120
- Page 121
- Page 122
- Page 123
- Page 124
- Page 125
- Page 126
- Page 127
- Page 128
- Page 129
- Page 130
- Page 131
- Page 132
- Page 133
- Page 134
- Page 135
- Page 136
- Page 137
- Page 138
- Page 139
- Page 140
- Page 141
- Page 142
- Page 143
- Page 144
- Page 145
- Page 146
- Page 147
- Page 148
- Page 149
- Page 150
- Page 151
- Page 152
- Page 153
- Page 154
- Page 155
- Page 156
- Page 157
- Page 158
- Page 159
- Page 160
- Page 161
- Page 162
- Page 163
- Page 164
- Page 165
- Page 166
We have recently switched to a new rating system. Elo is being replaced by Whole history rating. Although generally very similar to the old ratings, this means that rating values have changed for every player. Here are the most important things to know about the new system:
- Winning increases your rating, losing decreases your rating.
- Defeating a higher rated player counts more than defeating a lower rated player.
- Chance of victory is derived directly from the difference in rating between two players.
- Rating decreases during periods of inactivity but is fully restored after playing a few games.
- The rating reacts faster to skill changes, especially noticeable for newer and casual players.
- Instead of a single rating, the entire history of each player is memorized.
- There are small daily rating adjustments. These are independent of activity and serve to optimize the rating’s accuracy based on past games.
- Lessen the impact of smurfs due to much faster rating adjustments even for old accounts.
- More accurate and stable ladders that are less susceptible to the outcome of single games.
- The new system is a base for additional statistics that weren’t possible before.
This week’s campaign missions are another two-for-one, unlocking units with two unusual movement types: spiders and ships. These factories are a bit unorthodox and allow for new strategies. As usual, post feedback for these missions in the feedback thread: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24530
Experience-per-level has been re-scaled to lower the maximum level and give players more time around level four. There are also other fixes, including a fix for losing when a resurrected commander dies.
In other news, a tournament is being arranged for next weekend. See this thread for more details: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24531
This week the campaign takes to the air with the release of missions for the Gunship Factory. There are also three Jumpbot/Athena bonus missions, look for Firewalker near the Hovercraft area. As always, post feedback in the feedback thread: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24510
At 36 missions the campaign is now over half-released. This week we have missions for the tank factory along with bonus missions missions featuring terraform, a free-for-all and the Super Extreme Kodachi Rally. These missions are more varied than those released previously so testing is particularly important. Check them out and post feedback: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24489
This week of the campaign is a two-for-one combo with the release of missions for two factories. These missions show various aspected on mixed land/sea combat with hovercraft and amphibious bots. Tell us what you think in the feedback thread: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24469
Zero-K is doing well on itch.io, we were entered into the featured list and are doing well in popularity. We are still low on ratings so get an account and rate our page at https://zerok.itch.io/zero-k if you have not yet done so.
Shield visuals have finally been rewritten in LUPS. These shields have a much lower performance drain and, while they may look a bit basic looking at the moment, the change will allow us to further improve their visuals in the future.
Dominatrices now inflict 95% capture progress on their subordinates when they die, making the newly freed units easy to recapture by any surviving Dominatrix.
Tweaked Racketeer missile physics to make it take about 10% longer to hit its target. This is intended to make Racketeer less effective at nullifying bombers.
Centralized commander shield positions. Convict and Thug shields are 18 elmos higher.
Structures can no longer teleport (nobody noticed that they could).
The itch.io release push is complete. Thanks to everyone who contributed, commented or configured the page. Here is the link: https://zerok.itch.io/zero-k
How does this affect those here? Many reading this already have Zero-K. Well, itch.io is potentially a way to gain players but it takes a little interaction on our part. If people could
- Rate or review our itch page,
- Refer friends/strangers via our itch page,
- Generally be whatever a “Mobilized Fanbase” is,
then we should climb in the itch rankings and be seen by many more people. You need itch to rate or review but it seems worth getting in any case, it’s like a game jam that never stops giving.
It’s been a long time since we’ve made an update announcement. Many things have changed since then, and a lot of improvements have been made. We are continually working to make the game better.
I’m Damgam, new News Contributor and veteran player of Evolution RTS. I’ll try to make update announcements more often from now on.
For those who haven’t played the game for awhile, I’m leaving a short changelog below. Scroll down for more details
- ShardAI Update
- Control Points mode is now disabled
- Huge Tech 3 rebalance
- Unit Upgrade System
- Music switched back to original soundtrack
- Graphic Improvements
- Interface Improvements
- Sound Improvements
- Moved to Spring Engine 104.0
Shard AI Update
ShardAI, that is our Skirmish AI that allows you to enjoy the game even if there is nobody to play with, received huge improvements… Well, to be fair, it wasn’t really working properly previously. ¯_(ツ)_/¯
ShardAI tries to play as human-like as possible, but unfortunately it needs some cheats to work. It will be continually worked upon and improved.
This Gamemode, mostly known from FPS games, had its time in Evolution RTS. It has been removed for several reasons. New players occasionally had trouble understanding the concept. While it did essentially put a timer on game length and result in some really close down to the finish-line games, that occurrence was only common at higher levels of play. In reality, generally casual players would either not recognize the significance of control points, or even outright ignore them, resulting in their score eventually hitting zero and everything exploding, leaving the player confused as to what was happening.
For these reasons, the gameplay has been revamped to suit a more traditional RTS style… Destroying everything in sight, without mercy or remorse.
Tech 3 Rebalance
Expensive and powerful beasts, that’s how you could describe current Tech 3 units and structures. Nuclear missiles create a Big Boom, Long Range Artillery makes a lesser Big Boom, and Tech 3 units can take many shots to the face… but those changes have to be balanced, right?
Nuclear Silo and Anti-Nuke shields are limited to 1 per player, so you can’t nuke spam your opponent.
Lobster (Long Range Artillery) eats 15 supply (yes, that’s a lot).
Tech 3 Units eat even more supply now, so you have to choose if you want one powerful unit or an army of Snakes. Additionally all Tech 3 stuff now costs a lot of metal, so losing them is painful. You had better assist them with some O.R.B.s
The new upgrade system allows you to improve unit stats for the cost of additional metal. Units are upgraded directly, and may be used while they are being upgraded. Factories and turrets have 3 upgrades, up to MK4. Metal Extractors can be upgraded to give you additional metal. These upgrades are independent of tech level. It is entirely possible (While not recommended) to have a Mark IV factory that is only capable of pushing out kites. Not such a great idea, but we’re not going to judge.
In the v10.00 release, Evolution RTS got a new soundtrack. Because of various reasons we had to switch it back to the original soundtrack. Enjoy! (Remember you can add your own soundtrack to ingame playlist, ask for details on our Discord)
Deferred lighting gives you beautiful explosion, projectiles and lasers lighting that can be visible on units and ground.
The Settings menu has received many new options to adjust graphic details to your potato computers.
Unit Names and descriptions in the build menu have been moved from bottom to a little tooltip that appears near your cursor, making it easier to find what are you pointing at the moment. Pretty useful.
Some sounds have random pitch now, which makes them not sound the same all the time.
Positional audio has been enhanced. You’ll no more be confused while hearing distant shots that are as loud as shots near you.
(Remember that future plans can be changed at any moment)
- New, much better lobby
- Ingame Tutorial
- Missions, maybe even campaign
- Even more improvements to AI
Campaign week 4 is underway with four Rover missions and two bonus missions, bringing the total mission count to 22. We have also been tweaking previous missions based on feedback. As always, be sure to post feedback on the new missions here: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24457
Alongside the mission releases is a new Zero-K version, with the most notable change being new models Rover and Tank factories. With this change all factories are now impossible to block with a single poorly placed structure or piece of terrain.
The menu has also received a much-needed rework of its download UI and the backend has been switched to wrapper-based downloads, which should fix server and corruption issues.
- Added team mode for simple teamcolours, defaults to automatically enable in missions and free-for-all. When enabled, it makes all enemies on the same team share the same colour. Will be useful in team FFA.
- Default hotkeys for hide interface and hide healthbars are now more obscure, for safety. The new hotkeys are Ctrl+F5 and Ctrl+F9 respectively.
- Improved context-sensitive commands for constructors. Right clicking on an enemy will issue a move command, not a reclaim command. Right clicking on a damaged friendly constructor or factory will issue a guard command, not a repair command.
- Factories now default to selection rank 2.
- Fixed Strider Hub and Airpad selection rank.
- Added zoom in/out to misc hotkeys menu (for the default camera).
- Added hotkeys for Newton firezone settings.
- Disable automatic commander selection at the start of campaign battles.
- Made Gunship Plant easier to select.
In addition to the six new missions there have been tweaks and fixes based on previous weeks feedback:
- Added the Stats tab to campaign options which contains some information about your progress. Restarting the campaign may be required to make these stats completely correct.
- Reworked the layout of the planet invasion screen to make it fit on small monitors. Also added font size scaling.
- Made the Sling missions easier on non-brutal difficulties to better match the difficulty of nearby missions.
- Felon, Rackteer and Snitch missions are easier on easier difficulties. This is mostly achieved by giving the player more base defense and the enemies less early economy.
- Fixed the Snitch mission win condition.
- Fixed zoom to commander detection in Mission 0.
- Removed the link between the Stinger and Rogue missions.
- Added the eight maps required to instantly start playing singleplayer to the initial wrapper download.
- Rewrote the download tab UI. It looks much more reasonable and now supports actions such as canceling and reordering downloads.
- Replaced the download backend with a wrapper-based system. The new backend is strict about avoiding partial or corrupt downloads. It is also not dependent on the uptime of any one mirror.
- Removed the erroneous automatic download of several maps which are used for hidden missions.
- Updated Brutal circuit.
- Hide the Developer area of the Settings menu unless devmode.txt is placed in the root directory.
- Fixed units getting stuck when inside a resurrected wreck.
- Fixed COFC not zooming to startbox on commander selection.
- Fixed broken rendering of certain units nanoframes.
- Updated LoS loadscreen.
- Fixed a command menu crash.
- Added a more interesting Scorpion wreck.
- Fixed Dominatrix <-> defense ranges interaction.
This week we explore the Shieldbot region of the galaxy, with five shieldbot missions and a bonus mission. We have also released a Zero-K update, as well as some fixes and tweaks to the mission from week 2. Make sure to post feedback as these mission tweaks would not have occurred without it.
Post feedback here: http://zero-k.info/Forum/Thread/24441
- ‘Buffed’ by raising its aim point by 10 elmos. Now it aims from the extended position of its missile launcher. It is technically now able to shoot over allies, wrecks and reclaims in more situations.
- Fixed ‘The Slasher Bug’ (in the engine, applies when the engine is updated in the next few days). This also affects other units on Attack Move.
- Dagger now pathfinds like a 2×2 unit (previously it thought it was 3×3).
- Increased the footprints of Lance and Mace from 3×3 to 4×4. Might reduce Lance teamkill
- Extended the Hovercraft factory to fix factory blocking, similarly to Shieldbot and Cloakbot factory.
- Added Impulse Mode preset to Settings/Hotkeys/Commands.
- Added an option to filter out ally commands in show all commands.
- Improved manual fire tooltip.
- Improved state toggle consistency. All grey icons now use the same grey.
- Fixed Shogun wake.
- Added a drone construction toggle state.
- Improved retreat state tooltip.
- Fixed Avalanche version on the Gremlin mission.
- Adjusted the Phantom mission. The enemies now make Thug and Felon to encourage Phantom use. Added some terraforming to fix the maps poor pathfinding.
- Added enemies that drop in midway through the Stinger/Stardust mission to increase the challenge later into the mission.
- Made the Knight/Windgen mission more difficult on harder difficulty levels.
- Hide chat box until it is first opened.
- Fixed a case where the commander tab could fail to highlight.